Miley Cyrus & Jonathan Rhys Meyers Offer Condolences To Travoltas
First Published: January 12, 2009 9:43 AM EST Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- The death of his son kept John Travolta away from the Golden Globes, but the young woman who would have been his date – his “Bolt” co-star Miley Cyrus, was one of the many stars thinking deeply about the Travolta family on Sunday night.
“Basically, I think it’s really hard because of everything that’s happened, but I think the blessings [of] everyone [are] with him,” Miley told AcessHollywood’s Shaun Robinson.
The 16-year-old said she has been sending her prayers to the Travolta family, who buried their son Jett, also 16, last week. The star said she’s been waiting to contact John, to give him the space he needs to grieve.
“I haven’t had a chance to talk to him yet. I kind of want to let his family settle down, ‘cause everyone’s rushing and whatever,” she said.
And “Tudors” star Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who recently filmed “To Paris With Love” alongside John, also shared his sadness over John’s loss.
“He was going to be here tonight… So you know. It’s sad,” Jonathan told Shaun. “You can’t really bear thinking about it because it’s not the natural order. Kids should bury parents, parents shouldn’t bury kids.”
Jonathan said he has reached out to John, whom he calls “a wonderful man.”
“I sent a message to him, just to offer my condolences, because we became very, very close,” Jonathan explained of his co-star of the upcoming film. “I feel for his family and himself. He was very, very close to Jett, so my heart goes out to him. I think he’s a strong guy though. They’ll pull through. They’re a strong family unit.”
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.