On The Download: Best Club Remixes, Summer 2008
First Published: July 18, 2008 8:23 PM EDT Credit: AP
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- OK, this is probably not gonna be a very popular post. Let’s face it, an increasingly smaller and smaller group of people actually care about dance / electronic remixes nowadays. There was a glimmer of hope back at the turn of the 21st century, when dance music almost got “cool” again, but it was quickly eclipsed. Sure, every once in a while the occasional Paul Oakenfeld mix crosses over, but dance ain’t what it used to be.
Still, I’m a big fan of the genre. And believe it or not, Billboard still tracks it on their Singles Charts.
So, without further adieu, here are my Top 10 Club Remixes of Summer 2008:
1. “Take A Bow” (Tony Moran & Warren Riggs mix) — RihannaWithout a doubt, the anthem of summer! Tony Moran has been in resurgence in his production skills over the past few years, and this is his crown jewel. A ballad, that becomes a high-energy, happy dance song, which can’t keep you from smiling.
2. “Let Me Think About It” — Ida Corr vs. Fedde Le GrandeThe only “non pop song” on my list. Probably not many people have heard of these folks, but in the house music world, Fedde is quickly making a name for himself. He was selected by Madonna to do official remixes of her latest, “Give It 2 Me.” The hook on this track is unforgettable. Unlike anything that anyone else is doing right now.
3. “Handle Me” (Soul Seekerz mix) – RobynRobyn has been the indie pop comeback story of 2008, but this remix is just so catchy it’s hard to not hit “repeat” on your iPod at the gym over and over again. Watch out for remixes of her next single too, “With Every Heartbeat.”
4. “Just Fine” (David Morales mix) — Mary J. BligeI don’t think this remix was ever officially released, but if you can get your hands on it… do so!
5. “Give It 2 Me” (Paul Oakenfeld mix) — MadonnaThe granddaddy superstar of the DJ world, Oakenfeld gives his treatment to this third official Madonna production (he’s previously handled “What It Feels Like For A Girl” and “Sorry”). The original song isn’t as good as “4 Minutes,” but this remix is much better!
6. “Touch My Body” (Seamus Haji mix) — Mariah CareyMariah… big room anthem… hot British DJ who’s on fire right now… ‘nuff said.
7. “Into The Nightlife” (Soul Seekerz and Jody den Broeder mixes) — Cyndi LauperNot only is the original song a hidden ethereal ode to club life, but the remixes make this work of art float even higher.
8. “Leavin’” (Bimbo Jones & Ralphi Rosario mixes) — Jesse McCartneyOK, I’ve written about Jesse before in this section of the site, and yes, I’m slightly embarrassed about how much I like this single. The remixes are even more fun! My co-worker, Joe, agrees.
9. “When I Grow Up” (Ralphi Rosario mix) — The Pussycat DollsWho’d ever have thunk that there’d be life past “Don’t Cha”? But there has been… and continues to be… and this song makes me want to be careful what I wish for (‘cuz I just might get it!).
10. “We Break The Dawn” (Mr. Mig mix) — Michelle Williams feat. Flo RidaYes, THAT Michelle Williams – Destiny’s other child! With a great summer song, that might cross over to mainstream (too soon to tell still). Ditch the gospel albums honey, club music is your calling!
My Honorable Mentions: - Stamp Your Feet (DJ Escape & Matt Coluccio mix) – Donna Summer- No Air (Future Presidents mix) — Jordin Sparks feat. Chris Brown- Fall (Bimbo Jones, Scotty K and Almighty mixes) — Kimberley Locke- I Decided (Freemasons mix) — Solange Knowles- Closer (Stonebridge mix) — Ne-Yo- Spotlight (Johnny Vicious and Quentin Harris mixes) – Jennifer Hudson
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.