Sacha Baron Cohen isn’t banned from Sunday’s Oscars, but the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has reached out to his camp, following a report the actor planned to show up to the event as “The Dictator.”
“He’s not banned, we’re waiting to see what he’s going to do,” a spokesperson for the Academy told AccessHollywood.com on Wednesday evening.
“We’d love to have him there, but we’d like to hear from him what his intent is,” the spokesperson added.
Deadline first reported that Sacha, a star of Best Picture nominee “Hugo,” was planning to hit the red carpet on Sunday as his character from his upcoming movie, “The Dictator.”
Later, the website reported that the star had been banned from the ceremony. But the Academy spokesperson told Access on Wednesday, they are awaiting a response about the star’s plans.
“We’ve been in contact with his team and they know we’re waiting to hear, but we’d love to have him at the show,” the spokesperson said.
A rep for Cohen did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Access Hollywood.
Copyright 2015 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.