The box office was “down” this weekend following 8 consecutive “up” weekends.
“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest” finished first within expectations with $62.2 million, a 54% drop from its opening weekend. The blockbuster has now totaled $258.2m, passing $250m in 10 days.
The Wayans Brothers’ “Little Man” opened a stronger-than-expected second with $21.7m, barely squeeking past “You, Me and Dupree” which earned $21.3m. These two could potentially switch places before numbers for the weekend are finalized.
“Superman Returns” earned a less-than-super $11.6m (a 47% drop), bringing its total to $163.6m
“The Devil Wears Prada” is turning out to be the surprise hit of the summer, earning $10.4m (a drop of only 30%). It’s total is now $83.5m. There’s even a small Oscar buzz gathering around Meryl Streep’s performance.
Those are this weekend’sTop 5.
Final numbers will come in on Monday.
(Numbers Not Yet Final)
1) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest: $62.2m (dropped 54%) Total: $258.2m
2) Little Man: $21.7m (opening)
3) You, Me and Dupree: $21.3m (opening)
4) Superman Returns: $11.6m (dropped 47%) Total: $163.6m
5) The Devil Wears Prada: $10.4m (dropped 30%) Total: $83.5m
Copyright 2015 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.