Rep Issues Statement Denying Tabloid Claims Britney Spears Was Abused
One day before her 29th birthday, Britney Spears was hit with serious allegations from a website and a magazine, which claimed the pop star had been physically abused by her boyfriend Jason Trawick. Earlier Wednesday, Britney’s manager, Larry Rudolph, denied exclusively to Access Hollywood that the voice on an alleged recording was Britney’s. Now, both her team and Trawick himself have strongly denied the abuse allegations in a statement issued wide and posted on Britney’s website.
Star magazine and Radar Online (both owned by the same company, American Media, Inc.), each came out with stories on Wednesday, based around information reportedly from Spears’ former husband of 55-hours, Jason Alexander, that are centered around claims of abuse. Radar posted a recording of a conversation which the website claimed was between Spears and Alexander, in which a woman is heard telling a man her boyfriend, “beat on me.”
Spears’ rep, however, denied the claims in a statement to Access Hollywood.
“Every aspect of the story published by Star Magazine is completely and utterly false and Star Magazine was informed of the falsity of this story before it was published,” the statement from Spears’ rep to Access began.
“The statements attributed to Jason Alexander are a complete fabrication as Britney has not had any form of communication with Mr. Alexander in years. The audio recording posted on Radaronline this morning purporting to be between Britney Spears and Jason Alexander is so obviously fake as to be laughable. Suffice it to say, that Jason Trawick has never laid a hand on Britney. This is just another example of the irresponsible nature of the tabloid media relying on shoddy sources and false information for the sole purpose of selling magazines, without regard to the truth and without regard to who they hurt in the process. These irresponsible statements are defamatory and Britney Spears’ legal team will be taking legal action against all of the appropriate parties.”
Earlier in the day, Access Hollywood’s Billy Bush also spoke with Trawick directly, who said the allegations came out of nowhere.
Trawick told Bush that he’s been busy arranging a charity screening of “Secretariat” for some children in the Valley and prepping for Spears’ birthday on Thursday. He added that the voice on the recording, posted on Radar Online, was clearly not Spears’.
When contacted by Access Hollywood earlier on Wednesday, David Perel, Executive Vice President of Radar Online, claimed that the recording was “100 percent verified” and a rep for Star responded that, “Star stands by its story.”
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.