Report: Kal Penn Leaving White House For 'Kumar' Sequel
Kal Penn is leaving the White House to return to his acting career, according to Entertainment Weekly.
The mag’s Hollywood Insider blog reported that reps for the former “House” star confirmed he will reprise his stoner role in a third installment of the “Harold & Kumar” franchise.
The actor left his role on TV’s “House” to work as the associate director of public engagement in Washington, D.C., following the election of President Barack Obama, a candidate Kal had campaigned for.
However, with the new film expected to shoot this summer, it’s unclear when Kal will conclude his White House duties.
Shin Inouye, the White House’s director of specialty media, told TheWrap.com that the star “is honored to serve in this administration and has no announcements to make about his tenure here at this point.”
According to ABC News, press secretary Robert Gibbs had not heard about Kal’s career change as of Friday.
In April 2009, Kal talked to Entertainment Weekly’s Michael Aussielo about his new gig, explaining that how long he would serve was “up in the air” and that he wasn’t retiring from acting.
“Not necessarily,” he said at the time. “I still have a passion for it. But for the time being, I won’t be acting.”
In other “Harold & Kumar” news, as previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, series creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg have been tapped to direct the upcoming “American Pie 4” film.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.