Richard Hatch’s hearing has been postponed until August 26 at 9 AM, the former “Survivor” star’s lawyer told Access Hollywood on Friday.
“His hearing has been continued… on grounds there is more evidence that needs to be collected and reviewed prior to a determination being made,” Cynthia M. Ribas, Richard’s legal counsel, told Access.
The postponement means Hatch will remain in jail until his hearing in what Ribas said the star calls, “solitary confinement in terms of zero privileges.” She added that the sheriff terms his status, “administrative segregation,” meaning he has an hour of “recreation” time, including calls to his lawyer, per day.
“What a nightmare!” Ribas said. “I feel like he’s landed in North Korea and I need to contact Bill Clinton. More practically, I am presently analyzing challenge strategies for filing in a court of law.”
As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, Richard was taken into custody on Tuesday by the Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office. He had previously been under house arrest following three-and-a-half years of incarceration for tax evasion.
According to The Associated Press, Richard was jailed after giving several television interviews earlier this week – to NBC’s “Today” show, NBC affiliate WJAR-TV and also to Access. According to Ribas, the Bureau of Prisons told her only the “Today” interview had been cleared and the others were thus a violation.
“They’re claiming that though the approval for the NBC interview was granted and I mean, we worked in good faith for months getting that thing squared away, that they only understood it as just the ‘Today’ show,” Ribas told Access’ Tony Potts on Wednesday. “Not your show or not Brian Crandel’s show, and that since those two were different interviews, uh Rich would have needed separate approvals for those.”
Richard’s jail sentence is scheduled to end October 7.
Copyright 2015 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.