Your Daily Dispatch of Celebrity Shenanigans by Tommy Vergason
June 26, 2007
LINDSAY’S PROGRESS: Lindsay Lohan’s mother, Dina Lohan, gave PEOPLE an update on Lindsay’s progress in rehab yesterday. Lindsay is “doing great,” Dina reportedly said, adding that she talks to her on the phone every day. As for Lindsay’s future? Dina said that Lindsay will continue her treatment with a program offered from Promises, the organization that has been treating Lindsay at their residential Malibu location. “She’s going to do Promises’ extended care program,” Dina is quoted as saying. The program, according to Promises’ Web site, is designed to help people “make the transition from residential alcohol or drug rehab treatment back into their community.” It includes a 12-step program and group therapy. The “extended care” facilities are located separately from the residential treatment facilities, according to the Web site. Dina also reportedly told PEOPLE that she and her family will “head West” for Lindsay’s 21st birthday on July 2. She did not divulge a location, but her security guard, Ty Dux, is quoted as saying, “It won’t be on the Promises premises.” A previously scheduled birthday party which was to take place at PURE nightclub in Las Vegas was canceled last week, the establishment confirmed.
TANGLED UP IN TWINS: Las Vegas’ East coast counterpart, Atlantic City, was home to a concert by legendary musician Bob Dylan on Saturday night, and he reportedly welcomed two famous fans: The Olsen Twins! THE NY DAILY NEWS’ RUSH & MOLLOY report that Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (who just turned 21 themselves) traveled to Atlantic City’s Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa just to see Dylan perform. According to the report, the twins ventured backstage before the show, and were overheard professing to Dylan their “deep love” of his music.
‘DANCING’ CARTER?: 19 year-old pop singer Aaron Carter may be strutting his stuff as a contestant on ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars,” reports E! ONLINE’s MARC MALKIN. The “House of Carters” star, who has been known to design some of his own choreography for performances, is reportedly in talks with the show’s producers to participate in the hit show’s upcoming 5th season. According to Malkin’s source, Carter is “very close” to finalizing the deal with ABC. Carters rep did not return phone calls and emails from Malkin to confirm the news, and rep for the show cited ABC policy not to comment on “Dancing” casting. As previously reported, actress Jennie Garth (“Beverly Hills, 90210”) is also said to be in talks to join the show next season. Garth’s publicist confirmed the news to Access Hollywood, but an official announcement has not been made as of yet.
In related news, THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER has announced that former “Dancing” finalist Joey Fatone will host the new game show, “The Singing Bee.” The NBC series, in which contestants try to accurately sing the lyrics to popular songs, is scheduled to debut on July 10 at 9:30 PM.
A NEW HOME FOR HAYEK: Kelsey Grammer will be busy with his new show, “Back to You,” next season. But in the meantime, the actor has been working on selling his Bel-air mansion. THE NY POST’s PAGE SIX reports that Grammer has now found a buyer in none other than Salma Hayek! According to the report, Hayek and her fiancÚ, Francois-Henri Pinault, bought the five-bedroom, 1930s-era home for $20 million-plus. “We absolutely loved the home,” Grammer reportedly told The Post’s Braden Keil. “We are thrilled Salma bought the house.” Grammer (who also has a home in Malibu) has reportedly bought another house closer to the Fox studios, where he will be taping his new show. Hayek and Pinault are expecting a baby soon, as Access Hollywood reported in March.
PENELOPE’S PRINCELY PERFORMANCE: Salma’s good friend Penelope Cruz got a special treat Saturday night, when she and a group of other big stars managed to get their hands on some tickets for Prince’s “3121” concert series kick-off in Hollywood. PEOPLE reports that Cruz, Diddy, Hilary Swank (with boyfriend John Campisi), Nas and Kelis, Erykah Badu, Suge Knight, John Legend, Rick Ross, Nikka Costa, Topher Grace, Michelle Rodriguez, Jay Mohr and Nikki Cox enjoyed the Purple One’s show at the Roosevelt Hotel’s Blossom Room — tickets for which reportedly cost upwards of $1,000. Cruz and friends sat front and center, according to the report, and Prince left the stage to sit next to Cruz as he played guitar for one of the songs. Like a true fan, Penelope reportedly sang along with Prince, eyes closed, to “Nothing Compares 2 U” after she and her friends begged him for a second encore.
KIMMEL RECOVERS: And, finally: Talk show host Jimmy Kimmel is reportedly “doing fine” following the emergency removal of his appendix on Wednesday. USA TODAY reports that Kimmel was released from the hospital on Thursday, and is now back to work and ready to return as host of “Jimmy Kimmel Live” for tomorrow night’s broadcast. “It’s like a tonsil operation only down low,” he reportedly joked, adding that he was never in a “danger zone.”
Copyright 2015 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.