Selena Gomez Says Hospital Scare The Result Of Malnourishment, Low Iron

Selena Gomez attends "Experience Monte Carlo with Selena Gomez" Concert Series the at Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, on June 13, 2011 Selena Gomez attends "Experience Monte Carlo with Selena Gomez" Concert Series the at Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, on June 13, 2011

Selena Gomez has explained what landed her in the hospital last week and forced her to pull out of a previously scheduled promotional appearance for her upcoming film, “Monte Carlo.

“I was very malnourished,” Selena told Access Hollywood on Monday as she made an appearance at the Santa Monica Place Center Plaza in Santa Monica, Calif., as she promoted her new film and performed with her band, The Scene.

“I was dehydrated and very low on iron,” she continued of her health scare. “So, I just gotta take care of myself.”

As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, Selena was taken to the hospital following an visit to “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” last Thursday, and later underwent what her rep said were “routine tests.”

As a result, she canceled a Friday appearance in Santa Monica to promote her film, and later postponed what would have been a Sunday appearance for Monday.

At Monday’s event, Selena said she was feeling good.

“I’m doing great… Much better,” she told Access.

“I [was] very disappointed that I couldn’t be here, but I’m here now,” she added of finally greeting the fans and putting on a short live show.

As for her film, “Monte Carlo,” which also stars Leighton Meester and Katie Cassidy, Selena said she is looking forward to the movie’s release on July 1.

“I’m kind of nervous to be honest. It’s my first romantic comedy and I get to star with some really amazing co-stars, so it’s a really sweet movie and I can’t wait for everybody to see it,” she said.

Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.