Shannen Doherty Talks ‘Dancing’ Elimination: My Dad ‘Needs Me At Home’
First Published: March 31, 2010 3:13 PM EDT Credit: Access Hollywood
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Former “Beverly Hills 90210” bad girl Shannen Doherty and her professional partner, Mark Ballas, were the first pair sent home from the ballroom on “Dancing with the Stars” on Tuesday, but the actress told Access Hollywood that there’s a silver lining to her early elimination.
The actress has previously told Access that she was facing her fear of performing in front of a live audience and appearing on the hit ABC show to show her father – who suffered a massive stroke on Christmas Day 2009 – that facing your fears was possible. Shannen hoped her participation in the competition would inspire her father.
When Access’ Shaun Robinson caught up with Shannen following Tuesday’s show, she said she urged her dad, who was watching proudly from the audience, to remain positive.
”‘Don’t cry,’ I said [to him],” she told Access. “But, he’s doing good now…he’s doing better. He’s smiling and not so upset… he’s proud of me and he’s the whole reason why I did the show.”
Shannen said her early elimination will allow her more time to be with her ailing father.
“Fate is an interesting thing,” the actress said “The last two days he hasn’t been doing that great and he needs me at home and that’s what’s important.”
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.