It’s no secret the stars get to experience the best of the best. And, a favorite celebrity combo, along with a fave of Healthy Hollywood, is healthy eating and pampering.
Canyon Ranch is one of the star’s favorite destination spas. The iconic wellness retreat has been around for over 30 years and has hosted famous folks like Debra Messing, Shakira and January Jones.
So, Healthy Hollywood was super excited to get an invitation to experience the spa and its top-notch cuisine at its Lenox, Massachusetts location. Canyon Ranch chef Dan Hardy led a workshop in cooking with super foods. He used ingredients like ginger, beans, quinoa, cinnamon and salmon to make a variety of different dishes. And, my job was simply to taste! A task I gladly accepted and exceled at.
I can report back all of the foods were delicious and Chef Dan shared a few of his recipes for Healthy Hollywood’s readers.
- 1 1/2 pounds Atlantic salmon steaks
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 cups thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
Divide salmon into six 4-ounce portions. Combine all ingredients except green onions and salmon in blender container and process. Stir in the onions. (make 2 cups marinade). Place salmon in glass baking dish and pour marinade over it. Marinate at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours in refrigerator. Turn salmon occasionally to distribute evenly. Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Bake salmon in marinade for 8 to 10 minutes until fish flakes evenly.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup diced leeks, white part only
- 1/3 cup diced white onions
- 3 tbsp. diced shallots
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 1/4cups dry brown lentils
- 2 tsp. whole grain mustard
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute celery, leeks, onions, shallots and garlic until onions are translucent. Add vegetable stock and lentils. Cook until lentils are just tender, but not too soft. Before serving add mustard and vinegar. To serve, ladle 3/4 cup into each bowl.
Kale & Apple Salad w/Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 8 cups firmly packed chopped kale, deveined and de-stemmed
- 1/2 cup diced Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat croutons
- 3 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
In a small bowl mix together parmesan cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and salt until well combined. In a large bowl combine salad ingredients and dressing.
For more recipes and nutrition tips, check out www.canyonranch.com.
-- Terri MacLeod
Copyright 2015 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.