Super Bowl Workout Game! (Healthy Hollywood)
Healthy Hollywood is super excited for this year’s Super Bowl.
For the first time ever, I got into watching football this season. I actually can hold my own when it comes to knowing what’s going down on the field. Plus, I’ve developed a bit of a crush on Seattle Seahawks star Richard Sherman (pictured). Yes, I said it! This guy has major game on and off the field.
But, along with football, Super Bowl Sunday is also a food and drink fest. Beer, chicken wings, pizza and other high calorie munchies are usually on the menu. Talk about post-game day bloat!
Here’s an idea, instead of melting in the coach and mindlessly chowing down, why not get in a little workout?
Be inspired by the tight tushes of football’s leaner dudes, like Peyton Manning and, of course, Mr. Sherman and get off your butt during the game.
Fitness trainer Kira Stokes, who created Stokes Primal workout at Reebok Sports Club, came up with a plan. You can play along during the game or just practice during the commercials!
Crouching Tiger Push-Up (Perform this during every 1st Down)
- Start in extended arm plank position but with hands wider than shoulder width
- Perform a push-up but hold contraction one inch from the floor
- Keeping chest one inch from the floor slide back into hips while simultaneously bending the knees 2 inches off the floor (hips end up directly over the knees, pounce position)
- Straighten legs to create a downward dog position
- Perform a rolling wave by drawing navel to spine and articulating the spine to bring the body back to the start position.
Monkey (could be a touchdown dance)
- Start in extended arm plank
- Place right foot on the outside of right wrist
- Pick up right hand and slide left leg through the right foot and left hand (keep left foot off ground)
- Return right foot and right hand to start position (return to plank position)
- Repeat on other side
Ostrich (field goal!)
- Step out to lunge position
- Maintaining the height of the shoulders, pass the back leg through to lunge on the opposite leg. This is a walking lunge where you essentially never come out of the lunge position.
Kangaroo (every time a timeout is called)
- Begin in a plié squat toes turned out to a 45 degree angle.
- Hold plié squat position 2 seconds (weight on heels) then jump the feet together for 1 second
- Repeat alternating
For on Kira and her fitness regimen, check out www.kirastokes.com.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.