'Survivor's' Richard Hatch Taken Into Custody
Original “Survivor” winner Richard Hatch is behind bars in Bourne, Mass., Access Hollywood has confirmed.
Hatch was taken into custody by the Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office on Tuesday afternoon, just hours after an interview with “Today’s” Matt Lauer, and hours before one with Access Hollywood’s Tony Potts, aired on television.
According to MSNBC, Hatch was arrested at his sister’s home in Newport, R.I. He has been living at the residence under house arrest.
He was previously incarcerated for three and a half years for tax evasion.
It was not immediately clear why Hatch was arrested. The reality star’s lawyer told Access she is currently investigating under what grounds authorities took Hatch into custody.
A Sheriff’s Office spokesperson, Roy Lyons, told MSNBC, he did not have details on why Hatch was taken in.
“We just don’t have the same kind of details on the federal inmates we book as we do with the regular city and county inmates,” Lyons said. “It’s got to be that he violated some kind of condition. There’s no other reason this would have happened.”
In his interview with Potts, Hatch said at the time that he was happy to be under house arrest instead of in prison.
“I’m restricted still… but I could be in a worse place,” he told Potts.
He was scheduled for release from house arrest on October 7.
Hatch has claimed the executive producers of “Survivor” told him they would pay the taxes on the $1 million he eventually took home for winning the show.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.