The Counter’s Healthy Burger Recipes (Access Hollywood Live)
First Published: July 19, 2012 12:42 PM EDT Credit:
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- It’s summer and that means – it’s time to fire up the grill!
Jeff Weinstein, founder and co-CEO of The Counter restaurants, stopped by Access Hollywood Live to share some healthier burger and grilling tips and prepared some of the restaurant’s most popular recipes!
The Counter Veggie Burger Patty Recipe
2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, small dice
3 each garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, grated
1 yellow squash, grated
1 green zucchini, grated
1.5 cups rolled oats, (instant is fine)
1/4 cup cooked black beans
2 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
1, In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until almost smoking, Add the onions and lower the heat to medium. Mix and then add the garlic. Cook until tender and soft.
2, Add the carrots, squash and zucchini and season. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until soft and hot. Add the black beans, egg, paprika, parsley and oats.
3, Take off heat and mix. Place in a bowl and let rest for 1 to 2 hours.
4, Form veggie patties to desired size and place in flour to lightly coat.
5, Place a large skillet on the stove on medium high heat, add olive oil, and when hot place patties. Flip the burger when golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes and cook the other side the same.
(Note: Flour is optional to help give the veggie patty a nice crust when cooking. The patty can be cooked without the final flour coating if desired. The oats can be replaced with brown rice to offer a gluten free alternative.)
Spicy Turkey Burger
1.5 lb. ground turkey, shaped into 4 turkey patties
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 pieces of sliced Brie (4 oz. Total)
1.5 cup Organic Mixed Greens
2 Tomatoes, sliced
2 Scallion, diced
2 Roasted Green Chiles, sliced
2 Fresh Jalapenos, sliced
1/2 cup of Habanero Salsa
English Muffin, lightly toasted
1. Form the ground turkey into four turkey patties.
2. Cook on a grill, or in a medium skillet, over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Turn once. Heat to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
3. Add two slices of brie to each patty and remove from the grill or skillet once melted. Burgers should reach a final internal temperature of 165 degrees F after resting for 1 minute.
4. Layer organic mixed greens, tomato, roasted green chiles, fresh jalapenos on bottom of English Muffin. Top with turkey patty, layer 2 slices of brie on top of each burger and sprinkle with diced scallions.
5. Add Habanero Salsa to your liking, or on the side.
Apple Crumble Pie Shake
5 scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream
.5 cup Low Fat Milk
.5 cup of Apple Crumble Pie (approximately half slice of pie)
Optional: Whipped Cream
1. Put ingredients into a blender
2. Blend on med-high until the Apple Crumble Pie is incorporated
3. Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream
*To make it a lite version substitute with reduced fat vanilla ice cream and skim milk and skip the whipped cream.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.