Tobey Maguire Not Anticipating Oscar Nod
First Published: January 13, 2010 5:00 PM EST Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Tobey Maguire isn’t sensing he’ll receive an Oscar nomination.
The 34-year-old “Spider-Man” actor, who will be competing alongside George Clooney and Morgan Freeman for the best dramatic actor trophy at the 67th annual Golden Globes on Sunday, is keeping modest about any possible Academy Awards recognition for his dark “Brothers” role as a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder after fighting in Afghanistan.
“In terms of a nomination, I expect not to be nominated,” Maguire said during a recent interview. “And I’m totally OK with that. I’m just really excited about the attention the film has gotten. It’s been a thrill to get a Golden Globe nomination and get some of the attention personally, but I’m honestly more excited thatthe film’s gotten the attention.”
Maguire was passed over last month for a Screen Actors Guild nomination, which favored another portrayal of a soldier: Jeremy Renner’s risk-taking bomb disposal technician in “The Hurt Locker.” Maguire called the performance of Renner, who didn’t get a Golden Globe nod, “amazing” and said he appreciated another honest and authentic look at the effects of war.
“What happens to these people and their families can be very traumatic, and it can alter somebody’s point of view of the world or how they relate to the world when they come back to society,” said Maguire. “I think it’s a very difficult thing for these folks to deal with. They often don’t feel like they can share their experiences with anyone else.”
Beisdes Clooney (“Up in the Air”) and Freeman (“Invictus”), Maguire will also be up against Jeff Bridges (“Crazy Heart”) and Colin Firth (“A Single Man”) at Sunday’s Golden Globes ceremony hosted by Ricky Gervais, six days before voting closes for the Oscars. The “Spider-Man” star said he’s not afraid of becoming the British comedian’s punching bag.
“I hope Ricky Gervais tries to poke fun at me,” he said. “I think he’s hilarious.”
Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios announced earlier this week that Maguire and “Spider-Man” director Sam Raimi would not be returning to the superhero franchise for a planned fourth installment. Instead, a new cast and filmmaking team will produce a new “Spider-Man” movie that would focus on a much younger Peter Parker and debut in the summer of 2012.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.