Elizabeth Taylor. Audrey Hepburn. Marilyn Monroe. Many look up to these fashion icons — but who will take their place in years to come? Young celebrities are under plenty of scrutiny for their style choices, but fashion isn’t an easy thing to get right.
The women on AccessHollywood.com’s Top 10 Young Fashion Icons list know the rules and how to push fashion boundaries, staying ahead of the trends and inspiring a host of fans to dress just like them.
10. Selena Gomez: This Disney sweetheart knows how to dress for her age and look sophisticated. In a time when some of her peers are opting for cleavage-revealing numbers, Selena always stays covered up and classy. Whether she’s wearing a stunning red dress while walking the red carpet to an Oscar bash or sporting shorts and a sparkly top, she always looks like a million bucks.
9. The Kardashian Sisters: Before Kourtney, Kim, and Khloe Kardashian rose to fame as reality stars in “Keeping up with the Kardashians,” they opened their store Dash in Calabasas, Calif., in 2006. The store features high-end women’s clothing, and they opened a Dash Miami in 2009 and a New York City branch last year. No doubt the success was helped by these ladies’ fabulous fashion sense.
8. Zoe Saldana: Zoe Saldana rose to fame in the blockbuster hits “Star Trek” and “Avatar” and her red carpet looks have matched her rising star power. Last year, her enviable figure was the focus of a Calvin Klein underwear campaign, proving you can look stylish in and out of clothes. She’s been quoted as saying that fashion is an “art form” and said that she once created a fashion brand with her sisters.
7. Whitney Port: She rose to fame as Lauren Conrad’s bestie in “The Hills” and later starred in her own reality show “The City,” but Port’s true passion is fashion. She’s worked for Teen Vogue, fashion PR firm People’s Revolution and at Diane von Furstenberg, all before creating her own line “Whitney Eve,” which has shown at New York Fashion Week.
6. Taylor Swift: This country cutie is known for her heartfelt lyrics and curly blonde hair, but her fabulous fashion sense shouldn’t be overlooked. Swift is the ultimate girl-next-door fashion icon, wearing cute outfits that every girl idolizes and would love to see themselves in. Fans have created many blogs dedicated to how to achieve her simple yet elegant style.
5. Rihanna: Rihanna is the “only girl in the world” that can pull off her unique fashion style! It doesn’t matter if she’s wearing a sheer dress, a tube top or short shorts — she always makes a statement. Her famous coif has also caused a style scene. When RiRi cut her hair short in 2007, hairdressers’ chairs across the world were flocked with customers asking for a “Rihanna.”
4. Lauren Conrad: After getting her own series, “The Hills,” in 2006, Lauren stepped right into the fashion industry with an internship at Teen Vogue. Two short years later, her first fashion line, The Lauren Conrad Collection, debuted at LA Fashion Week. In 2009, she launched LC by Lauren Conrad for Kohl’s nationwide and is currently working on a new line to be released later this year.
3. Lady Gaga: Not only is Lady Gaga known for her best-selling albums and tours, but she’s a fashion icon as well. When Gaga hits the red carpet, steps out on the town, or even walks the fashion runway, she never fails to disappoint. She’s even created a host of iconic pop star looks including the meat dress, the bubble dress and her Kermit the Frog gown.
2. Leighton Meester: Just like her “Gossip Girl” character Blair Waldorf, Leighton always wears the most fashionable ensembles. She is known for her daring – and sometimes controversial — looks. She’s been a mainstay in the front row at New York Fashion Week and has been called a “Fashion Week It Girl” by InStyle magazine. She told Britain’s OK! Magazine that “Gossip Girl” changed her style and made her “more brave and aware of fashion.”
1. Blake Lively: This “Gossip Girl” always looks fab on the red carpet whether it’s in a thigh-skimming hemline or a deep neckline and fashion bible Vogue agrees. She’s one of the few TV actresses to grace their cover and they also dubbed her, “The Bombshell.” Adding to her fashion resume, Blake is a face of the brand, fronting the label’s Mademoiselle handbag, and like Chanel, her own fashion icons are old school – a healthy dose of Katharine Hepburn, Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn.