Dennis Quaid’s newborn twins are fighting for their lives inside Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Access Hollywood has learned.
According to a report, Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace were accidentally given massive doses of Heparin, a drug used to prevent blood clots.
While a typical dose for an infant would be approximately 10 units of the drug, the babies were reportedly each administered a 10,000-unit dose by mistake.
As a result, the babies reportedly began to “bleed out” on Sunday night and the infants are in the hospital’s neo-natal unit, where they are now in stable condition.
Quaid and his wife, Kimberly, welcomed the twins into the world on November 8 through a surrogate mother.
The family released the following statement on Tuesday afternoon:
“Dennis and Kimberly appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers and hope they can maintain their privacy at this difficult time.”
Son Thomas Boone was born at 8:26AM., weighing 6 lb., 12 oz., while his sister Zoe Grace followed two minutes later, weighing 5 lb., 9 oz.
On Tuesday evening, Cedars-Sinai Chief Medical Officer Michael L. Lanberg issued a statement regarding the incident, however, did not mention the Quaid family by name.
“On November 18, three patients who were receiving intravenous medications as part of their treatment had their IV catheters flushed with a solution containing a higher concentration of heparin (a medication used to keep IV catheters from clotting) than normal protocol. As a result of a preventable error, the patients’ IV catheters were flushed with heparin from vials containing a concentration of 10,000 units per milliliter instead of from vials containing a concentration of 10 units per milliliter,” the statement read. “The error was identified by Cedars-Sinai staff, who immediately performed blood tests on the patients to measure blood clotting function.”
Lanberg also said two patients were given protamine sulfate, a drug that reverses the effects of heparin and that doctors are continuing to monitor all patients involved.
“I want to extend my deepest apologies to the families who were affected by this situation, and we will continue to work with them on any concerns or questions they may have. This was a preventable error, involving a failure to follow our standard policies and procedures, and there is no excuse for that to occur at Cedars-Sinai,” Lanberg added. “Although it appears at this point that there was no harm to any patient, we take this situation very seriously. We are conducting a comprehensive investigation, cooperating fully with the California Department of Public Health and will take all necessary steps to ensure that this never happens here again.”