Halle Berry, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Lopez and Demi Moore are my fortysomething beauty idols. I swear, they have some sort of reverse aging thing going like Brad Pitt in ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.’ They just keep getting better and better.
Of course, most of us don’t age like that, right?
‘You Look Fine, Really.’ Heard that one before? That’s the title of the humorous new “get-real manual to mid-life” by Christie Mellor, best selling author of ‘The Three-Martini Playdate.’
“The time seemed ripe to write a book for women who are staring into the beady eyes of middle-age,” Christie says. “It’s meant to talk them off the ledge, to present a picture of maturity that doesn’t involve panic, stress or implanting things into your face.”
“You Look Fine, Really” covers all kinds of topics from hostess tips to exercise to grooming advice. Here, Christie shares some practical tips in an age of “botoxed beauty.”
FIVE FAVORITE BEAUTY TIPS FOR WOMEN OVER FORTY:
1. Sleep. Get enough sleep. Sleep is your friend. Afternoon naps should not be a guilty pleasure, but part of your balanced, happy, well-rested life.
2. Step away from your magnifying mirror. Understand that most of the people you’ll run into throughout any given day do not have x-ray vision. Think of yourself as a lovely impressionist painting: no one will be looking at the individual brush strokes, but rather the whole pleasing effect of you, so don’t obsess over tiny details. Especially details that have been magnified a hundred times. What you see as giant crevices and craters, others see as delightful crinkles around your eyes when you laugh.
3. This may sound corny, but it’s absolutely amazing how a smile will not only make you feel better inside, it actually camouflages those saggy bits around your mouth and jowl. Not a phony, plastered-on smile, of course. Surely you can think of something lovely to smile about?
4. Be not afraid of the red lipstick! If you’ve never been a red-lipstick girl, take the plunge. Try on something deeper, richer or brighter than you’ve ever worn. A good red lipstick lends you a classic, retro elegance that never goes out of style. And of course, it instantly dresses up whatever old thing you happen to have thrown on.
5. Give yourself a honey facial. Raw honey all over your face, for about fifteen to twenty minutes. I do this a few times a week. Honey is a natural humectant and does simply amazing things for your face. Scrub off with a handful of sugar or oatmeal.
For more info go to www.christiemellor.com.