Katy Perry roared onto the MTV Video Music Awards red carpet in a thigh exposing leopard-print dress. The singer looked absolutely gorgeous and to compliment her roar-tastic style she rocked a super high ponytail. “I wanted to show off Katy’s face and expose the high collar on the dress,” reveals the singer’s hairstylist Jen Atkin, from the Clear/Wall group.
Jen worked double duty with Katy and created both her red carpet and performance looks. “[For the red carpet], I wanted to show a fresh, clean yet glam look,” states Jen.
Get the look:
1. It’s important to start with a solid foundation for any style, and that starts when you wash your hair. A shampoo and conditioner combo that helps you tame frizz and fight fly-aways is helpful.
2. After washing, add a dime-sized amount of hair and blow dry straight for a sleek style.
3. Brush hair back into a high ponytail using a mixed bristle brush, and secure with a strong elastic band. I recommend bungee bands for a tight hold.
For Katy’s performance, Jen was inspired by the singer’s fighting spirit. “Inspired by her lyrics, Katy performed as a fighter, so I immediately knew I wanted to give her braids in the vein of Million Dollar Baby. I wanted her to look feminine, but with a tough edge,” adds Jen.
Get the look:
1. Part hair and separate it down the middle.
2. French braid from the forehead, down on both sides, and secure with small rubbers bands.
3. A great trick for this look is to add a little pomade to your hands before you start braiding to help tame the braids along the way- something that has great hold and a matte finish, so it won’t leave your hair looking greasy.
-- Terri MacLeod
(Glam Slam’s Ryan Patterson is on maternity leave. Terri MacLeod is filling in.)