Reese Witherspoon told me at Avon’s Foundation for Women gala that Halloween is one of her favorite holidays. “I love a costume and love a funny wig,” the actress shared.
After all, this ghoulish night isn’t just for kids! Heidi Klum and Bette Midler are both revving up for each of their annual Boo bashes.
If you’re thinking of putting together your own frighteningly fun festivity, event planner Jon Gabel of Joonbug.com has simple tips to make your party go off with a scream!
1. Plan Ahead. For every event we produce we establish a master agenda and a calendar. Begin your planning early and make sure you have enough time to everything done on time. Boo! (Halloween has a way of sneaking up on you.)
2. Budget. List every possible item you may need and project the costs. Figure out where you can afford to splurge and where you must cut back. At the end of the event, you can compare your actual costs to the projected and see where you saved.
3. Everyone loves a theme on Halloween. All of our events have themed invitations and Halloween decor; it sets the mood and let’s people know they’re in for a fun night.
4. Take ideas from bigger venues and incorporate them into your Halloween parties. A great example of this is having a costume contest and having the price be a gift certificate to the movies or to local restaurants. You would be surprised how many people will get competitive to win.
5. Plan for the masses. Whatever you thought to order for food and drinks, double it. This is a time for all of your friends to come together so you have to accommodate everyone, have options!
6. Music. Music will keep the party going so make sure you have a DJ who knows how to control a room or asks friends for song suggestions and comprise a play list on your iPod.
7. Have fun! Remember, you’re planning a party! If the decorations don’t show or you run out of hors d’oeuvres - you’re surrounded by your friends, colleagues, family - they’re all drinking and dancing and most likely haven’t noticed.
To spook up more ideas for your Halloween bash, check out www.joonbug.com to find out what some of the biggest clubs across the country are planning.