Joey Fatone knows he will have to bring more than his gregarious personality to the ballroom to stay in the competition on “Dancing with the Stars: All-Stars.”
The former *NSYNC-er, who placed second during his original Season 4 “DWTS” run, will compete against six mirrorball champions this season, and Joey says he’s going to leave the goofiness at home for his first performance in hopes of reminding audiences that he has what it takes to go the dancing distance.
“I think the first out of the gate is where we’re not coming up with any schtick or gimmick, it’s full on dancing,” Joey told Access Hollywood at his and pro partner Kym Johnson’s rehearsal in Los Angeles this week. “I think the first number we’re gonna dance for everybody since they haven’t seen us in a while… Bring that magic back!”
“We’re going to blow your socks off,” Kym added.
Having worked together before (they were partnered for Season 4 as well), Joey said he and Kym know what to expect from each other and are faring fairly well when it comes to injuries this time around.
So far, the former boy-bander hasn’t sustained any game-changing blows – just a minor knock in the head when he forgot to duck during one of Kym’s kicks.
More than injuries, Joey said his biggest fear is being the first celebrity cut from the ABC reality competition.
“[My] biggest fear is being let go in the first week — I think that’s our biggest fear,” he told Access. “Honestly, we don’t want to go in the first week!”
Kym added, “Normally you get two weeks, but this time around, you know, the dance is very short so you don’t have a lot of time to really make a big impression and someone’s leaving that Tuesday. So you’ve got to really throw it all out there on the dance floor because someone’s leaving on Tuesday and no one wants it to be them.”
“Dancing with the Stars: All-Stars” premieres Monday September 24 at 8/7c on ABC.