Lady Gaga is setting the record straight about those rumors that she was supposed to be a part of the re-recording of “We Are The World.”
According to reports by a host of Web sites, including Rolling Stone’s, Lady Gaga was one of the many artists (also including Beyonce, Eminem, Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z) who were reported to be a part of the historic re-recording to aid Haiti - reports that later proved to be premature. And on Thursday, Lady Gaga explained to Billy Bush for Access Hollywood and “The Billy Bush Show,” why she wasn’t in the LA studio laying down a track earlier this week.
“I’ve actually been in rehearsal for my new tour, but I was never supposed to do ‘We Are The World.’ So that’s a rumor,” Gaga told Billy on Thursday afternoon by phone.
The pop singer extraordinaire explained she was asked, but she’s actually been very involved in raising money for the earthquake-ravaged nation already.
“I believe that they may have asked, yes, about it, but I was unable to do it,” she explained. “And I’ve been working on my own charity projects for Haiti. We’ve raised over half a million dollars for Haiti already and we like to work specifically with charities that are based in Haiti itself.”
And Gaga has dug deep, not only donating her own take from one of her shows on her current “Monster Ball Tour,” but also hosting Haiti-benefiting sales on her Web site.
“I donated all of the proceeds from one show worth of ticket sales as well as all the of the merchandise from that show and for 24 hours we had a ‘Gaga for Haiti’ day where everything that was bought on the Web site… every dollar went to Haiti,” she said. “We’re continuing to work on more projects and we’re supposed to go to Haiti later this year for a show, which is very exciting.”