Andra Day’s name may not be familiar to you yet, but once you hear her distinctive sound, you’ll never forget her voice.
With the debut of her album “Cheers to the Fall” out on August 28, Andra will introduce the world to her retro, yet funky sound that has been compared to the likes of Billie Holiday, Amy Winehouse and Adele. Her smoky voice with jazzy hip-hop beats transports listeners to the past, with lyrics that strike chords of today.
The 30-year-old San Diego native was discovered and signed to Warner Music Group thanks to her popular YouTube covers of songs, including Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” and a mashup of Notorious B.I.G.'s “Big Poppa” with Marvin Gay’s “Let’s Get It On.” Before the release of her highly-anticipated album, Day contributed a remake of the classic “Mississippi Goddam” to the soundtrack of Netflix’s praised 2015 Nina Simone documentary “What Happened, Miss Simone?”.
Andra Day (Warner)
To help introduce you to Andra Day, here are six fun facts about the up-and-coming artist:
- Stevie Wonder contacted Andra personally after his wife played him some of Andra’s music. The R&B icon was so impressed, he linked her up with industry veteran, songwriter-producer Adrian Gurvitz.
- Billie Holiday and Lucille Ball are two of Andra’s biggest artistic inspirations.
- Spike Lee volunteered to direct the video for Andra’s first single, “Forever Mine,” after seeing her perform at the Sundance Film Festival.
- Her debut album, “Cheers To The Fall,” is loaded with famous voices, including Raphael Saadiq, Stevie Wonder, ?uestlove, The Dap Kings and DJ Jazzy Jeff.
- Andra loves classic horror movies and one of Andra’s favorite throwback TV shows is “Buffy The Vampire Slayer.”
- Andra is an avid football fan. Her favorite game day snack? Nachos.
Check out Andra Day’s soulful debut album, “Cheers to the Fall,” available on August 28.
-- Niki Kazakos & Evan Seymour